Auckland’s Best Designer Shopping
Here’s eight spots where Aucklanders shop for fashion all-year-round, all within easy walking distance. From vintage to avant-garde, and downtown to uptown the locals know where to go.
1. Start downtown at Britomart for the strip of Kiwi designers. From Karen Walker and Trelise Cooper, to Kathryn Wilson for shoes. World and Kate Sylvester are also located alongside in nearby Tyler Street.
2. If money’s no problem, discover the recent addition of high-end luxury labels on Queen Street, including Gucci, Prada, Louis Vuitton, Dior and Hugo Boss. Both Chanel and Tiffiny add a touch of glamour to Takutai Square.
3. Save the earth (and your wallet) at the Recycle Boutique on Darby Street. Once-owned designer threads makes this a popular shopping haunt amongst both city professionals and students. Delight in the discovery of high-end fashion for close to nix.
4. Get your bling at Fingers on Kitchener Street. Bespoke jewellery designed and made by Kiwi artisans, it’s a treasure trove of shimmery shine including pounamu or greenstone inspired Maori art.
5. Cross the road to the beautiful heritage building of Auckland Art Gallery Toi o TÄmaki. Take a stroll past more than 800 traditional and contemporary artworks and marvel at the fashions of generations past. Best of all the entry is free!
6. Jump on the CityLink Bus and head uptown to Saint Kevins, one of the last old grand arcades remaining in central Auckland. Take a lunch break at Lord of the Fries or Tart Bakery (Vegan Friendly!). Take in the latest tattoo design studios which line K’ Road.
7. Ponsonby is home to most of New Zealand’s top fashion brands. Take a stroll down Ponsonby road, grab a cup of coffee and see all the full range of style on offer. From upcoming designers, handicrafts and vintage finds to top labels including Karen Walker and Zambesi - there really is a shop for everyone.
8. Dubbed the shopping capital of New Zealand, Newmarket really is the spot to indulge in some retail therapy with the largest Westfield mall in the country. From high-end boutiques to all things hardware, both men and women can have a field day.
Shoe lovers rejoice! Newmarket also has New Zealand’s highest concentration of footwear stores in one place - ranging from stilettos to sportswear (get the wallet ready).
Whatever your tastes - champagne or not, Auckland is a haven for shoppers both young and youthful. So take a walk and hop around the city shops for a fun day out.