Keen to lead our popular city walking tours? Watch this to learn more.
The Role - City Walking Tour Guide (sole-charge).
You will be responsible for safely guiding groups of up to 8 visitors around central Auckland on a morning or afternoon tour. A warm, energetic and entertaining storyteller, you will need to think on your feet and adapt fact-based content (and the tour route) to suit your audience's interests and diverse questions.
Following your training, you will be a walking wikipedia about all things Auckland. Intuition and being a good reader of people is essential on our exclusive small group or private walking tours. We are not script readers and every tour sparks different conversations and visitor questions as we walk.
We aim to give our international guests a real feel for Auckland (and you as an Aucklander) and leave them feeling like they've made a new friend. An Aucky Walky is often the first tour they do in New Zealand and our 5-star reviews indicate we're on the right path.
- An outgoing, friendly and mature Aucklander with good local knowledge
- A good communicator (and listener) with excellent spoken English who can quickly put people at ease.
- Resourceful (if tours don’t go to plan), super punctual and conscientious.
- Fit and active to cover the 3-4 km tour distance.
- Background in teaching, ??????performing arts or client service/hospitality.
- Past travel in NZ and/or overseas
- Basic-level Te Reo Maori (pepeha, introducing yourself)
- Language skills (besides English)
- Compelling storyteller who can adapt to guest's interests????
- New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- Available 1-2 tours per week incl Saturdays (subject to bookings)
- Flexible schedule Oct to April
- Great references
- Successful applicants require a satisfactory Ministry of Justice Criminal Convictions check and full covid vaccination
- Current First Aid certificate through a NZ accredited provider
?In return we offer
- Full on-the-job guide training (paid)
- ????A fascinating, varied role hosting international visitors???????
- Good remuneration (plus you keep the tips)
- Flexible part-time hours and job autonomy
- An active outdoors role
- Auckland's most fun on two feet!
How to apply
1. Apply online. If you can tick most of our skills list (let’s not waste each other’s time), then please complete an online application form.
2. Produce a short video (max 1 minute) introducing yourself and relating an interesting Auckland story. Just record it on your smartphone in one take. Why do we prefer a video application? This type of job has nothing to do with a great written resume. The only thing that matters is how you come across to visitors. Email the video with your CV attached to [email protected]
3. Talk with us. If you meet our criteria, we’ll invite you to a preliminary interview.
4. Lead us. Still keen? We agree on a date for a mock guided tour. We’ll supply key bullet points for a few stops but how you present it is up to you. Your only ‘guests’ on the tour will be us. So make a good impression.
5. Walk with us. The final application stage is a walking tour with paying guests. Experience an Aucky Walky tour? firsthand to decide if the role's right for you
We are basically looking to answer two questions: Will our visitors have a good time with this person? Would our visitors recommend this guide to others?
Get started. Please Apply here and thanks for your interest!