We need summer guides for our top-rated city walking tours. Watch this to learn more.
- An outgoing Aucklander with good local knowledge
- Excellent spoken English
- Current First Aid certificate incl CPR (or commitment to get one)
Fit and healthy - each tour is around 3-4km ( including hills/stairs)
- New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- Must be able to work a minimum of two shifts per week subject to bookings
- Able to work weekends and public holidays (Nov - April).
- Resourceful - if tours don’t go to plan, you need to adapt.
- Flexible schedule to accommodate last minute bookings.
- Great references
- No criminal record and drug-free
Experience in performing arts, tourism and/or teaching
Well-traveled either in NZ or overseas
Basic-level Te Reo Maori (pipiha, introducing yourself)
- Language skills - conversational Mandarin, German, French, Spanish and/or Italian.
In return we offer
- Full training in effective guide technique
- Outstanding tour design principles and content
- Good remuneration (plus you keep any tips)
- Flexible part-time hours
- Experience in the walks tourism sector
- An active outdoors role
- Interaction with different cultures
- The most fun on two feet!
How to apply
1. Apply online. If you can tick most of our skills list (let’s not waste each other’s time), then please complete an online application form.
2. Produce a short video (max 1 minute) introducing yourself and relating an interesting Auckland story. Just record it on your smartphone in one take. Why do we prefer a video application? This type of job has nothing to do with a great written resume. The only thing that matters is how you come across to visitors. Email the video with your CV attached to [email protected]
3. Walk with us. If you meet our criteria, we’ll call you for a chat. We may then invite you on a discounted walking tour with other guests. You can experience our 'Hello Auckland' tour first hand and then decide if the role still appeals.
4. Lead us. Still keen? We agree on a date for a mock guided tour. We’ll supply key bullet points for a few stops but how you present it is up to you. Your only ‘guests’ on the tour will be us. So make a good impression.
We are basically looking to answer two questions: Will our visitors have a good time with this person? Would our visitors recommend this guide to others?
Get started. Please Apply here and thanks for your interest!