Our Sustainability Steps (Kaitiakitanga) :
- Small-group focus, back-street walking. The company’s ethos ensures locals aren’t impacted by waves of large walking groups crowding already busy city streets. With a capped group size of eight people, the tours walk up back lanes, through parks and city squares so visitors blend in with the locals and experience a real connection to the city.
- Follow us on foot and bus. We promote the use of public transport to visitors which is why Aucky Walky tours often combine walking with a local bus ride. Tour takers receive a bus map and guidance on how to use Auckland’s trains, ferries and buses. Every tour includes a brief stop at Britomart station.
- Sit in not take out. Tours include a refreshment break and mix'n'mingle with guides in a locally owned cafe removing hundreds of paper cups from Auckland’s landfill every season.
- Developing combo tours with like-minded operators. Collaboration with other zero-emission, highly-rated operators means Auckland visitors can enjoy a full day of carbon-neutral sightseeing.
Aucky Walky Tours was recognised by Auckland Transport with an award for reducing tourism-related congestion in the city. And promoting visitor use of public transport
Hospitality In Action (Manaakitanga) :
- A home for the homeless. Aucky Walky donates annually to the Auckland City Mission city shelter with 90 studios and wrap-round health services on Hobson St. Aucky Walky was a top 30 fundraiser for the last Lifewise Big Sleep Out. We stroll through the outdoor 'living rooms of Auckland's rough sleepers so it's the respectful thing to do.
- Accessiblity for everyone. We provide ‘walk on wheels’ tours which can be enjoyed by visitors with restricted mobility. The wheelchair and mobility-friendly route avoids stairs, hills, curbs and includes street-level restaurants with easy access to restrooms.
- Food tours with no kick-backs or commissions. Supporting independent food vendors, arts and crafts is central to Aucky Walky’s ethos. The company has pumped thousands of dollars into local restaurants. Aucky Walky’s policy is to promote the best of Auckland with integrity. Our vendor recommendations are genuine and not incentivised. This ‘neutrality’ condition is even written into our guide contracts.
- Spread the Auckland love. Our website includes up-to-date advice on the best things to do in Auckland to help visitors plan their stay and provide benefits to communities outside of Auckland's CBD. Every tour taker receives our Local's List on the best places to eat, shop and go.
Aucky Walky has woven sustainability practices into its core visitor experiences.
With a commitment to reducing tourism’s impact on future generations and promote slower, cleaner travel of the city we call home.
"The support from Aucky Walky Tours is a great example of a small, local business making a positive difference to the community they operate in. We are thrilled that a tourism operator is plucky enough to highlight a very real social issue for Auckland. We also enjoyed our walk with them very much." Alexis Sawyers, Team Leader – Fundraising, Auckland City Mission